[lbo-talk] Kingdom Come

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 10:38:45 PDT 2006

My review of George Monbiot's book "Heat"

A secular version of Kingdom Come

Environmental polemicist George Monbiot's new book asks why people do not act on their fears of climate change. Good question. .... To George Monbiot, this sounds like hypocrisy, and he is right. But he misunderstands the relationship between ecological thought and consumption. That climate change threatens the planet is not a belief that leads to a restriction in consumption. On the contrary, one could state as a law of politics that the relationship between green thinking and increasing consumption is not contradictory, but complementary. The greater role that consumption plays in our lives, the more we are predisposed to worrying about the planet. Ecology is to the twenty-first century what Christianity was to the Victorians. The harder those patricians blessed the meek on a Sunday, the more viciously they exploited them from Monday to Saturday. Green thinking is the religion of the consumer age. As sure as night follows day, the very people that are most preoccupied with the environment will increase their consumption from one year to the next.

More at

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/1839/