[lbo-talk] Lynne Stewart

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 19:24:43 PDT 2006

In addition the judge said he gave her the relatively light sentence because of her lifetime of service to the nation -- except for the silly part where he stated she had committed a very serious crime, the sentencing was really sort of an encomium to Lynne. Reading it, you think she should be given a prize instead of a sentence. However, she's quite ill, I think with cancer; one hopes she survives to have the 2d Cir. throw this obscenity out instead of having it vacated a la Ken Lay. (If you die before serving your sentence, it's vacated.) John is right that this whole proceeding is part of the slide towards a police state -- elevating the defiance of an administrative gag order, which would normally get you a contempt citation at worst, into a federal felony and invading the attorney-client privilege is extremely alarming for us all.