[lbo-talk] Re: Iraq excess death study up

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 17 10:16:37 PDT 2006

>From the perspective of building opposition to the war this study is
less useful than it might seem. It is apt to lessen support for the war. It might (if widely enough known) increase the number of those who would in a poll support "out now." But it will not increase by even one or two the number of people who join actively in opposing the war.

And the problem of the anti-war movement is not now and never has been that too few people oppose the war. From October 2001 to the present there has always been more than enough opponents of the war to build a huge anti-war movement. (I believe there were never fewer than 10% in opposition.) The problem has always been that the people opposing the war have, for the most part, not believed that anything could be achieved through active opposition.

To build an anti-war movement we don't need to find more arguments against the war. All the arguments we need were available from 9/11 on. We need an approach that will persuade people that active opposition is possible. I'm not sure that such an approach exists.

Carrol