[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading butNotfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 17 16:07:02 PDT 2006

Jesse Lemisch wrote:

> huh? what's the problem? you can't imagine intellectual and poltical combat
> in a professional association? I gather you were born in fairly recent bleak
> times.

And not just "in the professional association," since those battles were linked to and in turn overflowed into political battles _not_ just 'on campus' but in the wider communities, and a good deal of left political activity in the intervening 35 +/- years had its origin in those merely academic battles in a cream bowl.

One might wish it otherwise. One did wish in the '60s that the anti-war effort had been less limited to student activity, and quite a few people (many also members of professional organizations) gave considerable effort to _trying_ to spread the base. I've enjoyed reading most of Dennis Claxton's posts, but this is silly.

Carrol