[lbo-talk] Finkestein hangs Marty P out to dry

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Wed Oct 18 12:53:23 PDT 2006

I'm determined not to get into a flame war on this list, so please forgive my use of the word "crap". I just spent about a year and a half reading Capital with two comrades in my local Solidarity branch. In the last month before I started graduate school (now more than twenty years ago), I decided the one book I needed to reread very, very closely was History and Class Consciousness. And one of these days I really will read Postone's book! I promise! Right now, though, it's Gramsci (whose complete notebooks are very slowly being translated into English), as well as some thoroughly bourgeois authors (Wittgenstein, LaFontaine, and Lorca).

For the record, I don't think that capitalism is the rule of sinister Jews. I do think that greedy corporations and unscrupulous governments abound in capitalism, but: (a) even an "ideal type" of capitalism without those institutions would be exploitative and alienating (b) that "ideal type," of course, is a pure fiction - there will be powerful greedy corporations and unscrupulous governments as long as there's capitalism (c) so, the greedy corporations and unscrupulous governments are a necessary by-product of capitalism, but the struggle against capitalism is only incidentally (but no less necessarily) a struggle against greedy corporations and unscrupulous governments.

So we are going to continue to disagree about Chomsky and Finkelstein. Do we agree about capitalism and the struggle against it?

Chomsky and Finkelstein aside, the left has made so many wrong turns in the U.S. (and elsewhere), that the left "deserves" to lose. But the struggle against capitalism doesn't deserve to lose, and unfortunately it's stuck with us as its paltry bearers.

Michael McIntyre