[lbo-talk] Finkestein hangs Marty P out to dry

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 17:14:48 PDT 2006

--- Michael McIntyre <mcintyremichael at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm determined not to get into a flame war on this
> list,

Me as well, so as I already told one comrade offlist, if I come across as being dismissive or arrogant, attribute it to my inability to really get my point across effectively, not to any ill intentions or so.

>I decided the one book I
> needed to reread
> very, very closely was History and Class
> Consciousness.

Well, I will make it easier for you. ;-) Really, what you must read is "Reification and Proletarian Consciousness."

I find it is the rosetta stone for so much of the Marxian critique.

> So we are going to continue to disagree about
> Chomsky and
> Finkelstein.

Chomsky is one of the intellectual titans of our time.

He is, though, as you say, a classical liberal (which is not bad, considering what "liberal" means today). As such, Chomsky is indifferent to questions of ideology, for him, you just have to tell people the facts, and everything should fall into place.

I remember reading somewhere Chomsky saying that Marx's Capital is a 19th Century work and that aspects of it might not be so useful for contemporary society.

I think this is very wrong. It is precisely Capital, of all of Marx's work, which is enduring, so long as we have Capitalism.

>Do we agree about capitalism and the
> struggle against it?

No question. If I haven't said it enough on this list:

G Summit. Heiligendamm, Mecklenberg-Vorpommern, Germany, 6-8 June, 2007

http://g8-2007.de/

Make capitalism history!