[lbo-talk] Chomsky vs Marx/Lukacs

ravi ravi.bulk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:55:25 PDT 2006

At around 18/10/06 3:07 pm, Angelus Novus wrote:
> Michael McIntyre wrote:
>
>> No more of this, "forget what he says, he
>> objectively serves an
>> objectionable function" crap.
>
> The Chomsky worldview summed up neatly. Forget
> objective social structures, ideology, fetishized
> relationships, historical context, social interests.
> Just the facts please.
>
> A left that reads Chomsky and Finkelstein rather than
> Marx or Lukacs deserves to lose, and lose badly.

Where exactly does Chomsky say forget structures, ideologies, etc? You are open to carry out all forms of analysis as long as you can use some consistent, meaningful language to demonstrate its general consistency and applicability. In its better moments, this is the basic complaint against postmodernism and some parts of sociology.

How is the Marx and Lukacs reading left faring these days or are they too high-falutin to even play? In comparison: my guy had #1 sales rank on Amazon last month. ;-)

--ravi