[lbo-talk] Chomsky vs Marx/Lukacs

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:42:13 PDT 2006

On 10/18/06, ravi <ravi.bulk at gmail.com> wrote:

> At around 18/10/06 3:07 pm, Angelus Novus wrote:
> > Michael McIntyre wrote:
> >
> >> No more of this, "forget what he says, he
> >> objectively serves an
> >> objectionable function" crap.
> >
> > The Chomsky worldview summed up neatly. Forget
> > objective social structures, ideology, fetishized
> > relationships, historical context, social interests.
> > Just the facts please.
> >
> > A left that reads Chomsky and Finkelstein rather than
> > Marx or Lukacs deserves to lose, and lose badly.
> >

> Where exactly does Chomsky say forget structures, ideologies, etc? You
> are open to carry out all forms of analysis as long as you can use some
> consistent, meaningful language to demonstrate its general consistency
> and applicability. In its better moments, this is the basic complaint
> against postmodernism and some parts of sociology.
>

> --ravi

Here, here , ravi. But let me get specific.

All one has to do is read "The Manufacture of Consent" or "Power and Ideology: the Managua Lectures" or "The Political Economy of Human Rights" to realize that Chomsky deals with structures, institutions, class, social interest, historical context.... He offers an institutional analysis and an analysis that is quite consonant, though not equal to, class analysis.

I am not sure where Angelus gets his information but it is certainly not from reading Chomsky.

As far as "feteshized relationships" this is a term of art that Chomsky does do without because he believes such notions are either meaningless or exhibit "theoretical" pretensions where theory is not possible. But then this last point gets into his ideas of the limits of knowledge and the narrowness of science.

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061020/759f865f/attachment.htm>