[lbo-talk] Stalin, Poet and Husband

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 08:44:46 PDT 2006

Having tired of trying to explain the realities of the Russian media to the willfully uncomprehending, I decided to do something more worthwhile -- translate Stalin's poetry! I stooped by my favorite Moscow bookstore (the Izvetia one, BTW, the same place I get my Medvedev) and lo and behold some nationalist publishing house has put out a book "Poems by and About Stalin." Finally I got a chance to actually read them. So here goes one in English. This is probably the first time this has ever appeared in English, making my place in history assured! ;)

This is a translation from Russian of a poem originally written in Georgian. I made no attempt to preserve rhyme or meter, and so it is considerably crappier than the Russian version, which is itself presumably crappier than the Georgian original.

THE OLD MAN NINIKA By Iosip Vissarionovich Dzugashvili Published in Georgian in 1896

Our friend Ninika has grown old, Broken by the grim gray of age. His strong soldiers have begun to droop, The hero now become helpless. That's the trouble! When of old He walked with a frenzied sickle Like a storm upon the field -- Sheaf would fall after sheaf. He walked straight upon the earth, Wiping the sweat from his face, And the fire of happiness Illuminated the young man. But now his legs do not work: Cruel old age spares nothing... The wretched old man stays prone, Telling tales to the grandchildren. But when he hears a song of happy labor Coming from the field, His strong heart gives a sudden start, As always before. Leaning on his crutch, The old man lifts himself a bit, And, smiling around, Lights up for an instant.

It's got his letters too. Here's one to his wife:

I.V. Stalin to N.S. Allilueva 2 June 1930

Tatka! I've gotten all three letters. I couldn't answer immediately, because I was very busy. Finally I'm free now. The congress ends on the 10th or 12th. I'll be waiting for you, so don't be late to get here. If concerns for your health recommend it, stay where you are a bit longer.

I go outside the city occasionally. The kids are doing great. I don't like their teacher at all. She runs around the dacha all the time and makes Vaska and Tomik ran around from morning to evening. I have no doubt that Vaska is getting no instruction from her whatsoever. It's no accident that Vaska isn't managing to learn German from her. She is a very strange woman.

I'm a little tired nowadays and have gotten a little bit thinner. I'm thinking of resting over the next few days and getting myself in shape.

OK, I'll see you later.

I. Looooooooove. Yooooooou.

Your Iosif