[lbo-talk] Herbert Aptheker: A False Memory Syndrome Redux?

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 18:55:21 PDT 2006

Christopher Phelps' review of Bettina Aptheker's sensational new memoir _Intimate Politics_ was posted here (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20061002/019243.html>).

In the review were sentences that raised a red flag: "Many years afterward, this memory came to me" (Bettina Aptheker, qtd in Phelps, "Herbert Aptheker: the Contradictions of History," The Chronicle of Higher Education, 6 October 2006, <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20061002/019243.html>); and "She [Bettina Aptheker] pushed her memories of childhood sexual abuse deep into the recesses of her mind and forgot them until she began to write her memoir" (Phelps, "Herbert Aptheker: the Contradictions of History," The Chronicle of Higher Education, 6 October 2006, <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20061002/019243.html>).

Is this another case of "recovered memory," which sent many innocent people to prison in the 1980s, I asked myself.

Today I came upon Bettina Aptheker's op-ed that explains the circumstances of "recovery.'

Bettina Aptheker writes:

That sounds very much like inventing sex to make a memoir more interesting than it is, especially to tailor it to the expectation of (too many of) today's feminists and mass media consumers (many of whom get disappointed if they can't find any sexual abuse in a family history).

In her op-ed, Bettina Aptheker denies that her case is a false memory syndrome and offers an anecdote by way of amplifying it:

But did they really talk about sexual abuse? Or excruciatingly mundane torments that parents inflict on children in nuclear families, compounded by political tensions of the times of the Red Purge? Herbert Aptheker is no longer here to answer that question. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>