Fw: [lbo-talk] Paranoid Styles, Soviet and American (was Hamas "a project of Shin Bet")

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sat Oct 21 18:36:57 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pugliese" <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:04 PM Subject: Re: Fw: [lbo-talk] Paranoid Styles,Soviet and American (was Hamas "a project of Shin Bet")

> On 10/21/06, Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> wrote:
> > Yoshie is now pulling unacceptably low-down psychiatric tricks of the
kind
> > generally used against the left. Disagreeing constitutes paranoia. Soon
> > we'll be hearing again, as we haven't heard since the fifties, of the
> > psychiatric factors that drove the abolitionists, perhaps of the New
Left.

http://www.questia.com/library/book/the-conflict-of-generations-the-characte r-and-significance-of-student-movements-by-lewis-s-feuer.jsp
> the 1969 tome by ex-Communist Lewis Feuer that pathologized student
> radicalism from the assasination of the Archduke Ferdinand to SDS.
> Bruno Bettelheim (himself an extremely abusive clinician and Father,
> if my memory of a book review in The Nation on a couple of recent
> biographies, is correct) on the New Left, "rich, spoiled brats." YES I WAS
AT THE U OF CHI WHEN HE PULLED THIS SHIT Or
> Psychological Correlates of New Left. Ideology. S. Robert Lichter and
> Stanley Rothman and Roots of Radicalism: Jews, Christians and the New
> Left Stanley Rothman, S. Robert Lichter Hardcover / Oxford Univ Pr /
> October 1982 . Tons of neo-con Freudianism therein.
> This mode can be indulged in by Leftists as well, as when a drunk
> William A. Williams called the New Left, "orangutans."NO IT WAS IN HIS
SEMINAR, SOBER, AND HIS GRADUATE ASSISTANTS SUBSEQUENTLY CAME TO CLASS EATING BANANAS. I TRIED TO GET HIM TO SPEAK TO THE U OF CHI SIT-IN WHEN HE VISITED IN MAY 1966 BUT HE REFUSED. I HADN'T YET HEARD NOW HOSTILE HE WAS. BUT SO FOR AWHILE WAS EDWARD THOMPSON.