[lbo-talk] Median income higher than in 1985

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 22:20:20 PDT 2006

On 10/21/06, Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "As the U.S. population crossed the 300 million mark
> sometime around 7:46 a.m. Tuesday (according to the
> U.S. Census Bureau), the typical family is doing a
> whole lot better than their grandparents were in 1967,
> the year the population first surpassed 200 million.
>
> Mr. and Mrs. Median's $46,326 in annual income is 32%
> more than their mid-'60s counterparts, even when
> adjusted for inflation, and 13% more than those at the
> median in the economic boom year of 1985. And thanks
> to ballooning real estate values, average household
> net worth has increased even faster. The typical
> American household has a net worth of $465,970, up 83%
> from 1965, 60% from 1985 and 35% from 1995. "

First it is really interesting that they chose 1965 as the comparsion year, since hourly wages for 80% of the workforce peaked in 1972 or 1973. Even if you go back to 1968, hourly wages for most of us were higher in real terms than today. In short the difference is due almost entirely to more household time being spent on paid work than in 1972 or 1968. A household with the same hours of work as in 1968 would earn less today than the median income then. A household where combine hours from both adults in the household was the same as is usual today would have earned more in 1968. That is only slightly trure for 1968. If I cherry picked my endpoint as this article seems to do and compared today to 1972, the hourly difference would be quite substantial. (1972-1973 is when hourly wags for the bottom 80% of the U.S. workforce peaked.)