[lbo-talk] US Vegemite ban

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Oct 22 00:26:47 PDT 2006

Is there anyone who doesn't hate America. Not anymore, America's last friend in the world is up in arms over this. We followed the Americans blindly into the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, tugged the forlock over global warming even while Australia's water supply dried up, loyally voted with the Americans in the UN, never complained about anything,not even the Americans' stubborn refusal to adopt cricket and Aussie Rules as their national sport.

We're a tolerant breed, that's for sure. But this is going to far. Even Australian have their limits.

Expect a declaration of Jihad anytime. Don't be surprised if you wake up one morning and find John Howard has snapped and flown a Quantas jet into the FDA headquarters.

You have been warned infidels!

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas

http://www.news.com.au/sundayheraldsun/story/0,21985,20623197-662,00.html

Happy Vegemites? We don't think so

Kelvin Healey

October 22, 2006 12:00am Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching Aussies for jars of the spread as they enter the country. The bizarre condiment crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon -- faithfully carried around the world by travellers from Down Under -- contains folate, which under a technicality, the US allows only to be added to breads and cereals.

Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong Vegemite on toast breakfast traditions.

Former Geelong man Daniel Fogarty, who now lives in Calgary, said he was stunned when searched for Vegemite while crossing the US border on a trip to Montana recently.

"The border guard searched our car and asked us if we were carrying any Vegemite," Mr Fogarty said.

"I was flabbergasted.

"The official said Vegemite wasn't permitted in the US."

Paul Watkins, who owns a store called About Australia in San Antonio, Texas, said he had been forced to stop importing Vegemite six months ago.

"We have completely stopped bringing it in, which has been hard," he said.

Mr Watkins said some companies were flouting the law by continuing to import Vegemite and hoping the shipments would not be inspected.