[lbo-talk] tracking our cash

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 13:42:35 PDT 2006

Doesn't sound very plausible, actually. The burden on merchants of recording and reporting serial numbers of bills would be crippling. Presently there are reporting requirements for financial institutions (defined very broadly, essentially anyone who regularly deals in money) holding that they must report transactions of $10,000 in cash. This is a major bureaucratic pain in the ass for legit banks and such, so I doubt that they are going to be very keen on tracking every single bill. In fact, I'd bet a lot of money it aint gonna happen. However, noite that if like a lot of us you do most of your transactions through credit cards, the information is out there -- although it still nominally takes a search warrant and probable cause or at least a FISA Court rubber stamp approval to get it.