[lbo-talk] WBAI

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 24 09:04:33 PDT 2006

Dear WBAI Supporter -- The letter I am forwarding represents a very unsual event in Pacifica and WBAI history. Its writer, Carol Spooner, is a near legendary figure in the Pacifica community. She was a critical force in the fight that rescued Pacifica from the runaway national board that had seized control of the foundation, tried to fire all its radical programmers, and turn Pacifica into NPR-lite. Not an attorney, this "Little Old Lady from Santa Rosa" (who will kill me if she ever sees description) nevertheless crafted the novel and unprecedented complaint and cause of action that persuaded the Attorney General of California to give the listeners of Pacifica -- who had never before been permitted to take part in the affairs of the foundation that they had been supporting with their dollars for over 50 years -- legal "standing" to challenge this runaway board in court. Spooner then enrolled in law school, got a law degree, raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for legal expenses from listeners by traveling around the country to alert them to what was happening, and personally managed the long and bitter legal battle that finally ended in the court decision that gave Pacifica listeners, for the first time, the right to elect by democratic ballot those who would run their radio stations. Without her, WBAI might no longer even exist, having been sold off to the highest commercial bidder, as it was suggested as part of a secret scenario in a leaked memo from one of the board "hijackers." Until now, Spooner had refused on principle to issue a statement, let alone a recommendation, in the WBAI election. But because of what she perceives as mortal peril to WBAI, she has now broken her silence to tell you what she knows -- from the "inside" -- about the true nature of some of the candidates, what they truly stand for, and how they have nearly destroyed WBAI. It is the most devastating critique of station candidates I have ever seen. I hope you understand that what I have written above is my own characterization of what is in Carol Spooner's letter. Please read the actual letter below, and make up your own mind. Then please vote. -- Steve Brown ----------------------------------------------------------------From: Carol Spooner <wildrose at pon.net> 2006 WBAI LOCAL STATION BOARD ELECTIONS(feel free to forward this) You have probably just received your ballots for the 3rd WBAI Local Station Board (LSB) election under the bylaws adopted in 2003. It is with real regret that I write to you -- but this is a crucial election for the future of WBAI that moves me to come out of "semi-retirement" from Pacifica affairs the past 2 years. WBAI has been losing listeners and listener support since 2003. It currently cannot pay its bills and also cannot pay its share of Pacifica national programming and administrative expenses. This functional bankruptcy places a precious and once highly esteemed radio treasure with a 40+ year history in the NYC area at serious risk -- and also endangers the entire Pacifica network -- at a time when we cannot afford to weaken, much less lose, what few progressive voices for change we have on our airwaves. There are many factors contributing to the decline of WBAI over the past 4 years, but the primary responsibility lies with the Program Director [Bernard White--SB], who has acted both unwisely & vindictively towards WBAI producers and has created an environment within the station of intimidation, violence and fear -- and also with the former station General Manager [Don Rojas--SB] and current interim General Manager who permitted him to do it, as well as with the former Pacifica Executive Director [Dan Coughlin--SB] who protected him and them from efforts by members of the Pacifica National Board to require that corrective and disciplinary measures be taken. It is sad and unfortunate that the Program Director and his protectors have had the backing of a faction of the WBAI LSB that has been in the majority for the past 2 years. This faction has also filled 3 of the 4 WBAI seats on the Pacifica National Board with its members -- who then act to confuse and mislead the national board from other stations about the problems at WBAI and its causes. This faction calls itself the "Justice & Unity Campaign" but it has done everything it can to prevent justice & unity at WBAI. So, it is with real urgency that I ask you NOT to throw away your ballot for the WBAI LSB election, but to dig it out of your pile of mail and send it back right away -- making sure NOT to vote for any of the candidates associated with the "Justice & Unity Campaign". Those candidates are Tibby Brooks, Imani Henry, Berta Silva, Bernadette Ellorin, Ray Laforest, Sam Spady, Samia Halaby, Fr. Lawrence Lucas, and Marianela Tricoche. Again, please do not rank ANY of them on your ballot. No matter what other good works they have done in the community, they are bad for WBAI and need to be resoundingly defeated so that more sober and responsible LSB members can gain a substantial majority on the LSB in order to help restore financial stability, staff morale, and programming brilliance to WBAI. Of the remaining candidates, I think the following candidates are your best choices -- in alphabetical order -- Rolando Bini, Carolyn Birden, Steve Brown, Americo Casiano, Jr., Mitchel Cohen, Paul De Rienzo, Blanca Diaz, Patricia Logan, & Alex Steinberg. I know Steve Brown, Carolyn Birden, Mitchel Cohen & Alex Steinberg well enough to recommend them personally. I know they understand the problems at WBAI and are committed to solving them. The others I have chosen based upon their candidate statements and answers to the questionnaire posted at www.wbai.org. This is a case where voting on trust that smart well-intentioned people will understand and do the right thing. Please determine your own ranking priority, but make sure not to rank any of the Justice & Unity candidates. And, again, please VOTE in this important election. In the last WBAI LSB election, barely 10% of those eligible voted. Your vote matters. You can make a difference here. Thanks & best regards to all, Carol SpoonerFounder, Committee to Remove the Pacifica Board, 1999-2001Lead Plaintiff, Pacifica Listeners' Lawsuit, 1999-2001Member Pacifica National Board, Jan 2002- Jan 2005------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Stephen M Brownsbrown13 at nyc.rr.com