[lbo-talk] Chomsky vs Marx/Lukacs

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 24 20:44:32 PDT 2006

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> Angelus,
>
> Outside of evolution show me a theory of history that is worth the name
> theory.
>
> Show me any theory in the human sciences that is worth the name of theory.

Well, if you include psychology and sociology in the human sciences, there are plenty of empirically verified theories (e.g., cognitive dissonance theory, observational learning theory, reinforcement theory, the cognitive theory of depression, etc.). --I guess this brings up a philosophical question: what makes a particular explanation of behavior and thought worthy of the name "theory"?

Miles