[lbo-talk] Chomsky vs Marx/Lukacs

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 08:37:56 PDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I am happy to leave you with your own form of
> > superstion and mumbo-jumbo.
>
> Boring. This is polemic disguised as an argument.
> And falsely attributing positions to me, as well(as
> stated above, I have only superficial familiarity with
> Foucault, and none with Derrida).

First let me apologize. I didn't mean to attribute positions to you and in writing quickly I did. I won't apologized for the remark on superstition because you often show the intellectuals biased to superior superstition and mumbo-jumbo. I am not disguising this as argument at all. I wasn't making an argument. It is very hard to root out our individual self-deceptions and baseless beliefs in our own superior knowledge . We are certain about things where there is very little certainty. You express so much certainty that I am little certain that you believe you are beyond mumbo-jumbo. But why don't you live up to it. Why avoid your own superstition. Embrace it and see where it leads you. I say this in all fun.

> --- Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Marx provided a nice model, and he was a great
> > writer but why exagerate his
> > contribution?

On 10/24/06, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not just a nice model, a pretty damn good one. It is
> an abstract model of a "pure" capitalism, just like
> the neo-classical economists have their "pure"
> capitalism models, only Marx's model is better because
> it does not assume a frictionless system or tranquil
> equilibrium.

We all have our superstitions and for some reason one of yours is that Marx's Capital provides knowledge of something in the real world. Capital is worth reading for its way of thinking, but the model matches nothing that we can point to today and didn't match much of 19th century English Capitalism, either. There were a few insights, but nothing that is worth calling a "theory", except in a very loose everyday sense.

I don't want to attribute positions to you, but Engel's remark that Marx developed a science equivalent to Darwin's theory of evolution is just ridiculous and is a prime example of what Ravi likes to call "scientism."