[lbo-talk] Misogyny and fascism

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 12:59:01 PST 2006

--- Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> So yes, stuff about previous human societies is of
> "ancient historical
> interest", but it's also a useful mental exercise to
> keep us from
> falsely assuming our way of life is permanent and
> inalterable.

[WS:] I think you are barking at a wrong tree. I never said that "our" way of life is permanent and inalterable. In fact, I have been saying time and again that "we" could do much better, given "our" capabilities.

I was objecting to stipulations quoted on this list that Western civilization is excaptionally mysogynistic and anti-egalitarian. By any measure, Westen democracies offer a much higher legal protection and social, political and economic opportunities to women than non-Western ones, that is, Asian, African, or Latin American. How that compares to h&g societies is pretty irrelevant in this context.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Get your email and see which of your friends are online - Right on the New Yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)