[lbo-talk] Countering the Politics of Fear (was Tariq Ali at UCLA today)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 29 20:05:35 PST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 10:15 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Cultural Revolution-scale upheaval is about to happen in Iran based on
> just one speech.

If George Bush gave a speech saying "get the liberals out of the universities!," a lot of people would be rightly scared. Because when a president says something, lots of people are encouraged to do things they might not otherwise do. There's no shortage of people in the US who'd love a purge of leftists from our universities, and from what I've heard - what do I know, I'm not a scholar? - there are a lot of people in Iran who'd like to purge their universities too. So this "just one speech" business is crap, especially if that speech is consistent with lots of other stances, and likely to inflame people throughout the society.

Doug