[lbo-talk] maybe the last day of the world

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 30 13:12:41 PST 2006

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-me-a2anniversary30oct30,1,7449640.story?coll=la-news-a_section>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-me-a2anniversary30oct30,1,7449640.story?coll=la-news-a_section

TIMES PAST

1962: Pupils' chilling moments in cold war

October 30, 2006

Oct. 30, 1962: Cold War drills were a part of life at Miraleste Elementary School in Rancho Palos Verdes ­ and a brief test of the signal system sounded each day at 9:30 a.m. On this morning, when a "yellow alert" sounded unexpectedly at 8:40 a.m., school officials assumed they were facing a real attack, The Times reported.

When the telephone company said it knew of no malfunction, the principal announced on a bullhorn, "Teachers, move your groups home!" the newspaper said.

"The groups started off briskly, some pupils to be dropped off a door away, others to walk as far as 2.3 miles ­ for what?" The Times said in a reconstruction of the events. "To be with loved ones ­ those who could get home ­ on this, maybe the last day of the world."

At 8:50 a.m., the telephone company said it was a false alarm.

School officials headed off in cars to find the teachers taking children home and to tell them the good news.