[lbo-talk] Confined Space

ravi ravi.bulk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 09:13:31 PST 2006

Not sure I will have to time to look through all the links, but I scanned four or five, which seemed to have the same three column off-white background design. My problems with it: the header banner is way too tall... that could just be my idiosyncrasy... I like it when the first screenfull (on a 1024x768 display -- not my 1600x1200) should provide a good bit of critical info about a site, and in this case, about 50% of the height is used up by the graphic. Why not push the two columns up? (my env: FF2.0, MacOSX 10.3.9). Also the site header (Confined Space) IMHO would look better above the graphic, or on top of it, or some such... perhaps sitting on top of a semi-transparent white box on top of the graphic... would also save some real estate...

The fonts are beautiful but I am a pushover for clean sans-serif fonts, and the layout, colours, contrast provide clarity and help focus on the content rather than distract from it.

For the feeds links, why not use one of the universal feed subscription sites or plug-ins available for WordPress (which I am guessing is the platform you are building on)? Save some valuable real-estate for more useful info?

It would be nice if Recent Entries were also prefixed by the ">" that Site Tools and Feed links are. |||ly for Recent Comments. But then you would have to indent the wrap-around which might waste space...

The bottom bar introduces a new shade of blue that doesn't seem to gel with the rest of the colour scheme? Why not the Tiger style used for the "Support This Site" link at the top right?

The bottom bar links font is what Century Gothic? It is a nice sans-serif font too, but different from the rest of the site fonts. I don't mind it though. Don't know why there is black space after the bottom bar... perhaps just something that showed up in your screenshot?

(just noticed that it explicitly says Powered By WordPress at the bottom).

--ravi