[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 10:19:13 PST 2006

Politically correct tabloid? Surely not the New York Post or, here in San Francisco, the freebie Examiner.

I am no fan of big newspapers given their sordid history in this country (e.g., the Hearst and Pullitzer press getting the US into the Spanish American war) but the fact that so few people younger than 50 actually seem to read them is distressing, not so much because of "dumbing down" per se but because the sources of news they rely on - Fox News, talk radio, e-mail lists- only kidding on that last one - are likely much worse. It is this ignorance of current events that enables many in the US to believe that weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>