[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 31 12:30:01 PST 2006

Doug wrote:

>I really don't understand how anyone could know what's going on in the
>U.S. or the larger world without the likes of the NYT, WP, LAT, WSJ.

Didn't I.F. Stone read 10 or more papers a day?

>[WS:] Do not they all rely on wire services, like Reuters or AFP? If the
>Reuters service is available on Yahoo for free, that would cut out other
>intermediaries (like NYT) out of the loop without reducing the availability
>of information.

For a lot of stuff they do. But a good newspaper, like the Los Angeles Times, has their own people doing most of the reporting. You can tell the difference by reading the LAT since last Friday. The paper's been downsized and it's not as good as it was. I hope it survives this.