[lbo-talk] Israeli Ðbermenschen

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat Sep 2 16:44:58 PDT 2006

At 12:01 PM -0400 2/9/06, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Or settlement. It's pretty odd to see someone writing from Tasmania,
>site of what's sometimes described as the only completely successful
>genocide in history, where they killed every last aborigine, talking
>about another country's Nazi problem.

There is some sensitivity to the issue of genocide on my part because of that history. But our angel has explained that, all nation-states:

"kill people and engage in exclusionary practices against those who do not belong to the national collective."

So there you have it. This extermination of second-class ethnic groups is completely normal, even in our modern enlightened world. Israel is doing nothing out of the ordinary and certainly nothing anyone has any right to complain about!

You see, if everyone's doing it, then somehow or other it isn't genocide (I don't exactly understand the logic there, but who am I to argue with an Angel.) So perhaps modern Tasmanians have less reason to apologise.

And of course modern Germans and modern Americans would have less reason to apologise as well.

Except I'm not buying it. The angel doctrine has an unpleasant smell about it and come to think of it the Angel himself seems more than a little reptilian.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas