[lbo-talk] Fredric Jameson on Zizek

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 3 18:49:03 PDT 2006

On Sep 3, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> *Wordsworth, Coleridge, Austen, Ricardo, Beethoven, Hegel. All six
> have
> much in common. The key is Marx's comment that the panic of 1825
> revealed the historicity of capitalism. These six had been born _just_
> early enough that TINA was a sensible premise for them.

Using TINA in this context misses how thrilling it must have been to be bourgeois early in the bourgeois revolution. I've been reading bits of Maynard Solomon's bio of Beethoven, and that really comes across. Adorno has that line about Beethoven concertos representing the ideal balance between individual/soloist and society/orchestra, which later got corrupted into the virtuosic solo egoism of the Romantic era. Of course only the Grosse Fuge and the last string quartet were written in 1826, so he barely noticed the historicity of k'ism. But, on the other hand, isn't the damned thing feeling almost permanent?

Doug