[lbo-talk] Fredric Jameson on Zizek

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 3 19:21:10 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Of course only the Grosse Fuge and the last string
> quartet were written in 1826, so he barely noticed the historicity of
> k'ism. But, on the other hand, isn't the damned thing feeling almost
> permanent?

They were all 40 or older by then, and their basic responses to the world pretty well established. I admit TINA is grossly anachronistic. Unblinking acceptance of "the world" can lead to pablum, but it can also (as I think it did for these six) allow one to look at that world with a very cold eye. For example, one should take very seriously the final words of Austen's heros, and those words for the last of them indicate cheerful acceptance of being happier than he deserves to be! Take him at his word.

Carrol