[lbo-talk] The Fasc-O-Meter(tm)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 4 10:06:17 PDT 2006

>From: "Michael J. Smith" <mjs at smithbowen.net>
>
>Back when we were undergraduates, quite a few years
>ago, my colleague J. S. Paine and I constructed the first
>prototype of the Fasc-O-Meter®.

Genius.

>Here are some sample Fasc-O-Meter readings: ...
>
> The US Army -- 25**...
>** The Army's score would be 3, if it weren't for those ridiculous berets.

Quite so. Interestingly, the IDF actually registers fewer F-O-M points by wearing a beret-like item -- i.e., the mitznefet, or "clown hat," a floppy helmet cover that resembles a shower cap and is supposed to blur the sharp profile of a helmet, protecting the wearer from being ID'd as a target. Whatever its value as camouflage, the mitznefet is decidely unmartial in effect.

<http://www.slate.com/id/2147495/> <http://hem.bredband.net/runmat/il_cov.html>

Carl