[lbo-talk] latest Lieberman-Lamont numbers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 6 08:35:47 PDT 2006

<http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=156238>

Lieberman campaign strategists Neil Newhouse (R) and Josh Isay (D) sent a memo to campaign manager Sherry Brown yesterday summarizing Team Lieberman's latest internal poll numbers. The Note obtained a copy of the memo which claims to show Lieberman leading in the horse race by 16 points, 51% to 35% for Lamont and 4% for Schlesinger among likely Nutmeg State voters.

Expect the Lieberman campaign to drive home the findings on Lamont's favorable/unfavorables which are split 41% favorable and 41% unfavorable for the Democratic candidate. Lieberman's favorables, the poll finds, are 61% favorable and 36% unfavorable.

Partisan breakdown of Lieberman voters is not mentioned in the memo, but someone familiar with the campaign's polling tells us that it tracks closely with the most recent Quinnipiac University poll — which is to say Lieberman loses Dems to Lamont by nearly 2-1 and takes the lion's share of GOP and independent votes.

Lamont's communications director Liz Dupont-Diehl tells The Note, "These numbers don't reflect what we've been experiencing out on the trail and in the community. We are not running our campaign based on the polls, and if we were we wouldn't be here at all."