[lbo-talk] FT Interview: Mohammad Khatami

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 09:22:48 PDT 2006

> On Sep 6, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > Those of you who wish that a majority of Iranians had not elected
> > Ahmadinejad ought to ask yourself: did you do anything to compel
> > Washington to end its sanctions against Iran and come to terms with
> > Tehran during the eight years (3 August 1997 – 2 August 2005) when the
> > smiling Seyyed was the public face of Iran?
>
> Yeah, damn, if only I'd gone to that demo instead of that wine-
> tasting, how different the course of history would have been!

I can't recall a single demonstration organized by US leftists to help Khatami and his fellow reformists normalize the US-Iran relation. Why the total inaction?

NEW YORK — Former Iranian president Mohammad Khatami said Monday that U.S. forces should remain in Iraq until that country's fragile government can assume greater control.

In an interview here during his first trip to the United States since leaving office a year ago, Khatami said, "We can't leave this newly formed government at the mercy of terrorists and insurgents."</blockquote>

That's Iranian reformists for you: diplomatic normalization, trade, and investment in exchange for pro-Washington foreign policy from Iraq to Lebanon to Palestine. I am not in favor of that myself, but what not to like about Khatami and Co. from the POV of US leftists who hate Ahmadinejad and his fellow populist anti-imperialists in Iran? -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>