[lbo-talk] anti-Kinky (Friedman, not sex)

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Sep 7 16:22:20 PDT 2006

At around 7/9/06 5:18 pm, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> Actually, this is a fundamental puzzle in political
> science. If the costs of voting are more than trivial
> (and they ofen are -- campaigning in Ohio in 2004 I
> saw people stand for hours waiting to vote) and the
> likihood that voting will have any effect is
> negligible, which is certainly true, marginally
> speaking, only the last vote that tips the balance
> actually counts, why do presumptively rational people
> bother?

Isn't this a different version of Nozick's 2% argument, which I thought has been discredited? Also, I am not sure I understand the bit about "it is the last vote tips the balance that counts" -- that's not true is it? There is no last vote -- just the totals on either side?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/