[lbo-talk] anti-Kinky (Friedman, not sex)

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Thu Sep 7 17:08:14 PDT 2006

We can extend this problem a bit. Not only does my individual vote not have a chance of swaying the election, but my individual vote plus the votes of everyone I might sway do not matter. Even if I could convince everyone on LBO-talk to support the Dems (or not), those votes would have no consequences. Even if I could convince everyone on the non-Dem-voting Left to vote for the Dems (or the Dem- voting Left to vote non-Dem), those votes, taken together, would have no consequences. Nonetheless, LBO-talk and every similar Left formation in the country works itself up into a lather every fourth year about whether or not to support the Dems this time. I usually try to convince people that this is wasted breath. It never convinces anyone. So we merrily eat up time and bandwidth, Justin not-so-merrily (but nonetheless dutifully) goes off to Ohio, and I even wasted some time to find out who the SP was putting up this year, even though I knew that vote would literally not be counted. Of course, by this measure, writing this post was irrational....

What's not irrational? Perhaps camping out in the Zocalo for two months. We'll see.

Michael McIntyre