[lbo-talk] 9/11 nuttery

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Fri Sep 8 08:06:14 PDT 2006

I've totally ignored the 9/11 conspiracy theory industry these past five years, but over the last few months I've received some serious submissions by a few converts to the cause. The material has been fascinating - because a lot of it has been written by leftist intellectuals who I'd previously had some degree of respect for.

Throughout all of this material, one finds these writers attributing - or perhaps simply desiring - a totally rational state apparatus in which no contradiction is possible. I also detect a rather strong desire that the state not disappoint in its capacity be the all-seeing authoritarian monolith that its supposed to be.

I'm actually supposed to debate one such theoretically inclined person this Sunday on RU Sirius' podcast show - an ex-Bush administration interpreter by the name of Fred Burks. Should be interesting.

Best, Joel