[lbo-talk] 9/11 nuttery

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Sep 9 11:48:29 PDT 2006

At around 9/9/06 1:09 pm, Chuck wrote:
> Charles Brown wrote:
>
>> You have Black people and other people of color right here on this
>> list you can check with on questions of racism. If you were really
>> interested in fighting the good anti-racist fight, you would use
>> colored counsel respectfully.
>
> Genuine anti-racist point of view? Is there some kind fo high council
> which decides this? My anti-racist point of view is as valid here
> are yours or anybody elses. I'm stating my analysis.

And what is that analysis? That anyone who thinks (not JThorn or CB) that the guys are dumb and hence couldn't have flown planes is motivated by racism? Or is effectively racist? That is not analysis. That is a claim. What analysis can you offer to back that up? On what grounds do you justify this analysis? Especially given that one black, one red, and one brown guy (CB and JThorn are dealing with the issue of US Govt involvement, I am extending the discussion to include the question of whether these guys were capable of doing this) on this list don't find these questions racist nor do they think their community will think so. Perhaps we need an actual Arab to pipe in -- though note that some of the hijackers were Pakistani, not Arab.

It would be a good thing to get past some of the confusion in this discussion. JThorn's (and perhaps also CB's) point seems to be that it is valid to question if the US govt could have enabled this, without making any assumption about the intelligence of these guys. It would be strange to call that position racist. I mentioned that from what I had read these guys do not seem bright enough to fly a sophisticated plane into very specific targets. It is a huge leap to conclude that this is a form of racism (i.e., a statement about a very small set of individuals is a statement about the race/group they belong to. In another post I called this the soft bigotry of high expectations). Finally, there are probably some white people who offer the same thoughts/questions. Is that racism? The burden of proving such a far-reaching claim lies on those applying that label. AFAICT that burden has not been met even half-way.

> I don't need to
> consult with anybody on this list to state my anti-racist viewpoint
> on the 9/11 conspiracy movement.

No, you don't need to do that. But I think you would be better informed, if you did.

> Fuck your motherfucking Central Committee.

Huh?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/