[lbo-talk] bagels/ethnicity

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 9 13:26:10 PDT 2006

On Sep 9, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Jesse Lemisch wrote:

> were there traditional bagels that were salt covered?

As long as I've been eating bagels, which is 35 years, yes.

> is it wrong for me to be a traditionalist in regard to bagels?

Yes. This is America! And one of the best things about us is mixing stuff up, as in French-Asian hybrid cuisine (though the best example of that I ever had was in Montreal, so I should say this is North America!). California bagels, though, are an abomination; they're more like muffins.

> What do people think of current bagels?

H&H are too doughy, but they dominate my neck of the woods.