[lbo-talk] bagels/ethnicity

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 15:29:36 PDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> wrote:

> This leads me to some speculations and questions about bagels and ethnicity.
> Far from a Jewish nationalist myself, I do feel that what has become of the
> bagel is an offense against ethnicity, particularly here on the upper West
> Side, and similar offenses against other ethnicities would bring angry

Oh that is just silly. think about what happened to the pizza, or to sushi... But who complains? Except for the fact that I can rarely get good pizza in the city where my great grandparents family first made it 75 years ago, I have no real complaints. In the late 80s and early 90s in Manhattan you could rarely even find an Italian owned pizza place, they were mostly owned by Albanians. With pizza they lacked imagination. I look forward to the time when Mexicans and Japanese own the pizza places here. Then maybe it will get interesting again.

Jerry