[lbo-talk] bagels/ethnicity

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sat Sep 9 15:41:51 PDT 2006

This seems to me to confirm that pizza, another ethnic food, is in terrible decline. I wonder what you think of the tarted up versions in fine restaurants? My memory is that the New Haven pizza (can't recall the name of the place) is great because traditional.

Obviously, as in the case of the aforementioned Buffalo Italian Thanksiving, fusion can be great. But so far as I can tell, the bad bagels around reflect no fusion, no ethnic contribution from outside of the original, just collapse.

Jesse

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Monaco" <monacojerry at gmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 6:29 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] bagels/ethnicity

> On 9/9/06, Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > This leads me to some speculations and questions about bagels and
ethnicity.
> > Far from a Jewish nationalist myself, I do feel that what has become of
the
> > bagel is an offense against ethnicity, particularly here on the upper
West