[lbo-talk] bagels/ethnicity

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 16:01:17 PDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> wrote:
> This seems to me to confirm that pizza, another ethnic food, is in terrible
> decline. I wonder what you think of the tarted up versions in fine
> restaurants? My memory is that the New Haven pizza (can't recall the name of
> the place) is great because traditional.
>
> Obviously, as in the case of the aforementioned Buffalo Italian Thanksiving,
> fusion can be great. But so far as I can tell, the bad bagels around reflect
> no fusion, no ethnic contribution from outside of the original, just
> collapse.

Some types of food can improve thanks to fusion; other types can't be improved by it. Bagels must be an example of the latter. An even better example would be sushi and sashimi, especially toro, uni, and hirame. Do NOT add anything to them except shoyu and wasabi! -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>