[lbo-talk] silence in the street

parthasarathy kalalesrinivasaranga kalalepsarathy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 06:28:44 PDT 2006

world over the political establishment has learnt the way to ignore and manage protests on the street. From one side we are told day in day out the virtues of nonvilent democratic protests and what do we do when it does not bring about the change and rsponse? the so called western democracies have deteriorated to become minority goverments.. calling it voters' apathy is not correct. Voters are disillusioned that their votes do not tranlsalte in to change of power structure only change of the people if at all. Also this type of choosing governmnets can igonre 40 percent of the people without losing power.

Bush is running a government with only 21 percent vote let us rmeber. what is the use of street demonstrations ? we still do not know how it shoudl be if it is not to be violent. What is the contour of a new type of social action? WSF seem to be debating that. but even that seems to be settling down to routine. Though the debate here is US centric. the probelm is universal.

-- kalalepsarathy