[lbo-talk] books on class

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Sun Sep 10 16:27:48 PDT 2006

Heya,

I got a request for a reading list. But then it struck me, that whatever I know, I really didn't learn from books specifically. I mean: I did and I didn't. Anyway, I thought I'd shoot this question to the list, to find out what you'd recommend. Personally, I really hate that crap from Paul Fussell, whatever that online test is about if you're working class or not. Dated. Too easily leads people to think that the most important thing about class is The Dobosh Torte Leftism where class is a bunch of layers in a cake.

Anyhoo, shoot suggests to my email addy. Lurking on digest-mode because I'm in so much pain from work, I can't be bothered to shut down email boxes a hobazillion times a day. (Yay for the US health care system where you can't get disability if you're a freelancer. YAY. this country is enough to make anyone want to blow a hole in their head except that it would bankrupt your family if you did.)

mailto:info at pulpculture.org

Hi BitchLab,

I'm in search of good introductory books on class and classism.

Just for background: I became interested in feminism, race, class when I started college, but I got distracted by trying to do basic things like survive, and all interesting reading went out the window. Several months ago, I got back into reading and learning. Everything I learned from 20 years ago seems to have evaporated. So, I'm taking baby steps trying to learn theory and principles in these areas. While I have great references for feminism [we might not agree on that ;)] and racism, I'm basically guessing on which books are really good for starting to learn about class.

Here's the kicker: due to health issues, I get very foggy/have trouble processing. So books either have to be somewhat accessible, or if they're written in a dryer, more academic style, they have to have shorter chapters so I can get through them when I'm feeling clear-headed.

So given all of that, can you recommend one or more books for me? [...]

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org