[lbo-talk] the view from capital

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Sep 10 20:52:04 PDT 2006

Ah, thanks, ravi. That's exactly what I wanted to say but couldln't figure out how. And I asked for your help before I read your missive.

But, as a footnote to your computer software discussion, I want to add two things:

1. The entire frigging computer industry was created and defined by people who had no computer science degrees, because they made the shit up as they went along. I've been working with these people for twenty years. They are mathematicians, musicians, classicists, english majors, philosophy majors, egyptologists, etc. and some of them, like Wozniak for example, had no degrees at all.

2. The whole "open source" movement, which is partly a clever way to capitalize on free content, is completely degree-independent. If somebody comes up with some good, robust code that can be used to expand the capabilities of Mozilla or Solaris or whathaveyou, believe me it will be adopted and marketed and sold, without the college requirement being anyone's concern.

Joanna