[lbo-talk] IMF Chairman Says Russia Guilty of Resource Nationalism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 13 09:52:16 PDT 2006

Angelus Novus: I did not know this. Very interesting. I have read that many post-communist newspapers engage in anti-semitic practices and caricatures (I have to look up where I read this, and which papers are accused). Have you seen something like this?

---

Not _many_. Not the major ones. (Russia has hate-speech laws, but they are selectively enforced.) Zavtra has a large circulation and has a reputation for anti-Semitism, but I have never read it. However its reputation is so strong I that I think it probably is. I have seen anti-Semitic comments in a number of books with a popular audience. There are some politicians (Barkashov!) who make anti-Semitic statements, some really crude, but their influence has been declining rapidly along with the rapidly rising living standards (and the fact that national hatreds are mainly focussed on Caucasians). I have seen anti-Semitic caractures of Putin (Putin with goat legs wearing a Star of David).

Jews did well (or a handful of Jews did well) in the privatization process, since Jews were disproportionally predominant in the Soviet black market and organized crime and so had a lot of connections.