[lbo-talk] Tony Judt on the death of liberalism in America

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Sep 14 07:29:54 PDT 2006

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> Are you kidding? How could anyone who was part of that important
> movement NOT "remember much about the Contras"? I mean, apart from the
> daily reports of terror inflicted on Nicaraguan peasants, teachers,
> doctors, et al., and "debates" in Congress about sending more tax
> dollars to these thugs, there was that little scandal that came to light
> in late-'86, y'know, the one about arms-for-hostages, drug running,
> Iran, etc? They held hearings on that in DC, I believe, which was
> covered by all the networks. It was a whitewash, a scandal in itself,
> but it wasn't pushed back to A-23, beneath the fold.
>
> Again, are you fucking serious?

Are you fucking putting words in my mouth that I never said?

How fucking typical for this list.

Do you really think that I'm some kind of average American ignoramus who hasn't read plenty of books on Central America? You attack me knowing that I was an active participant in the Central America soldidarity movement.

The point I was trying to make late last night is that I don't remember enough about the Contras to know about the DIFFERENT FACTIONS WITHIN THE CONTRAS. Jesus fucking christ, Niacaragua has been off my radar, and most of the left's, for the past twenty years. Now all of a sudden I'm supposed to write a graduate level research paper on the factions within the Contras?

Un-fucking-believeable!

Chuck