[lbo-talk] Tony Judt on the death of liberalism in America

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Sep 14 08:47:17 PDT 2006

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> No -- I quoted you exactly: "I don't remember much about the Contras."
>
> Now, when called on it, you suddenly add, "I don't remember enough about
> the Contras to know about the DIFFERENT FACTIONS WITHIN THE CONTRAS."

Yet, you still put words into my mouth didn't you?

> Oh. Of course. How evident that was in your original statement.

I'm sorry. I thought this was a discussion list! I wasn't aware that every statement had to have more footnotes than a Chomsky chapter and that we would be graded on how precise and clear every word in our arguments were.

> As for the rest of your ramblings, I hope that the armchair you're
> sitting in is somewhat comfortable. What better place to pass judgment
> on those who actually had to deal with superpower terrorism in the real
> world.

Look in the mirror, Dennis. This is a discussion list. Just because I hold a contrary opinion does not make me an armchair radical who is naive about "superpower terrorism." If I wanted to adopt your line of personal attack, I could say that your support for the Sandinistas is dangerously ignorant of geopolitical reality. Or I could just create a mad lib where the first part started with something about you and the blank line being something about how your position was some kind of mortal sin, ignorant, or whatever.

This is a discussion list, not the Sandinista Worship and Admiration Society.

Chuck