[lbo-talk] Re: Eisenstein and Anger [as in Kenneth] (was: Night Watch)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Sep 16 17:44:57 PDT 2006

Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> Dear List:
>
>> I'll edit that remark to say that it was Eisenstein who showed what the
>
> art of filmmaking consisted of. And, yes, you're right about Murnau.
>
> It is interesting that Eisenstein lost the battle of influence to
> Murnau, even though both sojourned in Hollywood. Then Hitchcock came
> along and trumped everybody.

I disagree. Hitchcock came along and capitalized on techniques that had already been discovered and developed by others...and exploited them to the fullest. But in his entire career, he never made a movie as good as "M" and, in fact, the more "mature" he got, the more trivial his movies got. I grant he always provided an excellent emotional roller coaster ride. But that was it.

I am not familiar with Anger's films, but I will see them if I get a chance -- based on your reommendation.

Joanna