[lbo-talk] Re: Eisenstein and Anger [as in Kenneth]

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 17 11:47:11 PDT 2006

>From: joanna <123hop at comcast.net>
>
>Hitch on the other hand is a very gifted one-trick pony.

Some trick, some pony!

>You never walk away from his movies questioning the categories of good and
>evil. With Hitch, good is good; bad is bad ...

And I think Hitchcock does an excellent job ID'ing each in memorable ways. My favorite of his, Northwest By Northwest, is in part an astute study of how the state tends to subvert the interests of individuals in the perpetuation of its own power games. What more powerful image of implacable state authority is there than the climatic scene, where tiny (disposable) people are locked in life-and-death combat, scrambling over the outsized granite features of the presidents chiseled on Mt. Rushmore, who are utterly oblivious to their fate.

Northwest By Northwest is also an interesting study of individual redemption. Cary Grant as Roger O. Thornhill at first seems to have no redeeming qualities -- e.g., in his initial meeting with Eva Marie Saint ("Eve Kendall") the camera focuses in on his monogram, "ROT." But by the end of the film, of course, he has become a mensch nonpareil.

Carl