[lbo-talk] Re: Bush at 44%

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 19 09:37:15 PDT 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:57 AM, the long-lost-and-rewelcomed joyce brothers wrote:

> I got sorta de-kos'ed by the response to the
> press conference over there. No understanding of the
> American street at all, they thought it would hurt
> Bush.

Much of Bush's drop in the polls was because of discontent among Republicans; Dems and Inds have hardly moved. So that sorta shit is good for the base - and they need the base to come out in force in November - but it doesn't win any converts. Whenever I feel myself falling into total political despair, which happens several times an hour, I pull myself out by reminding myself that a good bit of the country is a lot more enlightened and less reactionary than the Republican base.

Doug