[lbo-talk] Stratfor on the Pope

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 17:59:26 PDT 2006

Doug posted a Stratfor article, which read:

"Benedict's thoughtful discussion of this problem needs to be considered. Also to be considered is why the pope chose to throw a hand grenade into a powder keg, and why he chose to do it at this moment in history. The other discussion might well be more worthy of the ages, but this question -- what did Benedict do, and why did he do it -- is of more immediate concern, for he could have no doubt what the response, in today's politically charged environment, was going to be."

I'm not sure why Pope Benedict did it, either, but I've seen the results: a re-polarization of sides, and folks speaking in terms of big, monolithic power units again -- "the West," which is the in-group, versus "The Muslims," the out-group, once more. It's re-fortified these old football teams for a little bit.

I'm almost embarrassed to say it was only through talking with Muslims in my teens that I realized how heinous the Crusades really were. The Crusades are still often portrayed as a kind of sweeping, romantic epic, same way with the French Foreign Legion in the past. The Children's Crusade is especially barbarous & shameful, but when I read about it growing up it was presented as a kind of holy and inspiring moment in which even the precious wee lads could teach jaded old cynics a thing or two about spirituality. If 100% true, it was actually the conscription of 20,000 youths to march into combat and to certain death, all to take over foreign lands. Fact or fiction, the story was often portrayed as "inspiring."

The Catholics in my family are upset about "the Muslims" on this one. To me, watching the Pope inspire controversy with some Islamic groups is like watching a member of the Libertarian Party inspire controversy with folks who are members of the John Birch Society -- I'm not really on anyone's side here. The Pope isn't exactly someone I'll be rushing to defend any time soon.

At least he didn't quote Emperor Tiberius: "They can hate me, provided they also fear."

Nazi popes fuck off,

-B.