[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: "I should have been as tough as Putin"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 10:43:06 PDT 2006

--- Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> wrote:

> Gorby seems not to want to mention that at the time
> he did use armed force
> to deal with separatism in the Baltics (Latvia?).
> Interestingly, some US
> leftists likened him at the time to Lincoln, who
> would not tolerate
> secession.
>
> Jesse Lemisch

I suspect he thinks he used too little force too late.

Most people think he did little or nothing to stop the pogroms in Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan. He had a reputation for mysteriously vanishing during crises and then reappearing when they were over.

It was the television station in one of the the "L" Baltic Republics, I don't remember which one.