[lbo-talk] Gorbachev: "I should have been as tough as Putin"

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 10:49:17 PDT 2006

One could also mention Georgia. However, this misses the point of how the SU was falling apart at the time and Gorbachev's authority was in decline. At the time there were a growing number centers of power which made decisions on their own. This is what ultimately made Gorbachev redundant. I am not saying he isn't responsible for what happened at the time in the SU - only that blaming him directly may not be correct. And, as Chris well knows, I am no fan of Gorbachev. Nonetheless, thinking back to those days, the end of the SU might of been less damaging and hurtful for the average Russian if Gorbachev had been more decisive - like Putin. (And, as Chris knows, I am a big fan of Putin).

All-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060920/c3e015fb/attachment.htm>