[lbo-talk] UN SC Expansion: An Idea Whose Time Has Come? (was Chomsky now at No. 1 on Amazon, No. 2 at Barnes & Nobl)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 15:48:29 PDT 2006

> On Sep 22, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Chuck wrote:
>
> > No, certainly not Americans, who see the U.N. as the joke that it is.
>
> Actually, Americans profess to like the UN, or at least the idea of
> it. They say it's doing a bad job in recent years - which is hard to
> argue with - but think it should play a big role in world affairs.
> 26% said a "leading role," and 42% a "major role" in a Feb 2006
> Gallup poll. Just 1% said it should not exist. Even 2/3 of those who
> say it's doing a bad job think it should play an important role.

If there is one idea on which a majority of governments of the world agree, it's the need to expand and change the UN SC, in which only the five major victors of WW2 are permanent members with veto power. That's the main themes that came out of the Non-Aligned Movement summit held in Havana, shortly before the 61st session of the UN GA.

With Fidel Castro out of sight, Raul presided over the meeting of two-thirds of the world's nations, rallying some of the most outspoken U.S. foes with a speech blaming the U.S. for much of the planet's woes.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

But the top priority for these less powerful nations seems to be balancing U.S. veto power on the U.N. Security Council.

"The U.S. is turning the security council into a base for imposing its politics," Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad complained, echoing comments by Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Belarus and many others. "Why should people live under the nuclear threat of the U.S.?"

North Korea Parliament leader Kim Yong Nam made a similar argument Saturday and said his communist nation "would not need even a single nuclear weapon if there no longer existed a U.S. threat." Mr. Kim added that U.S. insistence on financial sanctions has "driven the situation into an unpredictable phase."

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who has been trying to manage a showdown between the U.S. and Iran over its enrichment of uranium, agreed with the leaders that the security council must be more responsive to less powerful countries.

"The Security Council must reform -- for the sake of the developing world, and for the sake of the United Nations itself," Mr. Annan told the Nonaligned leaders. "The perception of a narrow power-base risks leading to an erosion of the U.N.'s authority and legitimacy -- even, some would argue, it's neutrality and independence. I have in the past described this as a democracy deficit." ("Countries Call for Security Council Changes at Nonaligned Summit," Associated Press, 16 September 2006, <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115843664889365509.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>)</blockquote>

What would Americans, if asked, say to the idea of expanding the UN SC and giving NAM, OAS, OIC, and other Third-World representatives veto-power-carrying permanent memberships, as Chavez, Ahmadinejad, Lula, etc. variously repeated in their UN GA addresses?

In the meantime, there is a contest between Guatemala and Venezuela. Which would a majority of governments in the world prefer?

Guatemalan Vice President Eduardo Stein denied that his country is a Washington "puppet" in an interview with the Associated Press. He said Guatemala has secured 90 of 128 necessary votes. Venezuela, however, is confident it will win the seat. ("Countries Call for Security Council Changes at Nonaligned Summit," Associated Press, 16 September 2006, <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115843664889365509.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>)</blockquote>

However, doubts remain as to whether he will obtain the required two-thirds of votes on the first ballot, not least because voting is secret. "Some governments may not be telling the truth," said a European diplomat, "especially among the small Caribbean nations."

Failure to win outright could lead to a protracted series of inconclusive votes, and possibly the emergence of a compromise candidate. (Phil Gunson, "Venezuela Tightens Iran Links with Trade Pacts," 18 September 2006, <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/e48e5dee-473a-11db-83df-0000779e2340.html>)</blockquote>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>